(14-16th October, 2016) Navdanya and the Organic Consumer’s Association are co-organising the Monsanto Tribunal along with a People’s Assembly for the future of food, the future of the planet – along with multiple civil society organizations – from at The Hague.
The Monsanto Tribunal aims to hold Monsanto and similar corporations accountable for their crimes against humanity, human rights violations and ecocide, no matter what name and form they morph into. Over 800 organizations from around the world are supporting and participating in this process while over 100 people’s assemblies and tribunals are being held across the world.
Over the last century big agribusiness companies have poisoned millions of people; destroyed the biodiversity over vast areas; pushed small farmers off their land and attempted to take over every aspect of our food system. The potential impacts of such outcomes increase as these corporations become fewer and bigger. An example is the recent bid by Bayer to buy Monsanto. 1
Corporations are becoming a threat to the planet
Using free trade (WTO) neoliberal policies and the deregulation of commerce to enlarge their empires, these corporations are downgrading life on earth and its biodiversity. They have broadened their control over our seed, our food and freedom, robbing us of our human rights and democracy. They have established monopolies and threatened farmers rights to seed and people’s rights to affordable medicine through patents and IPRs.
The People’s Assembly will be a gathering of movements, seed savers, seed defenders, farmers and growers and civilians to address the crimes against nature and against humanity perpetrated by chemical and biotechnology corporations.
The Tribunal will look at how WTO and Free trade policies have introduced patents on seed and promoted the GMO invasion, and also look at the new free trade agreements like TTIP and TPP. Through the experience of ecocide and genocide over the last century, the Tribunal will also chart the road to our future based on Seed Freedom and Food Freedom, agroecology and farmers rights, our commons and economies of sharing, rights of nature and earth democracy.
The draft agenda for the People’s Assembly includes the following issues:
A Century of Ecocide and Genocide
- Owning Life and Poisoning Life
- Attack on Farmers and Farming
- Attack on science and scientists
- Attack on Food Freedom and Democracy
Corporate Control and New Threats
- New corporate concentration – the Monsanto-Bayer Merger
- New Free Trade Agreements – TPP and TTIP
- New GMO Technologies, synthetic biology and gene editing
People’s vision for the future of food and the future of planet
- Seed Saving and community Seed Banks
- Reclaiming the seed as commons
- Agroecology feeds the world
- Organic Agriculture and Poison Free food
- From Degeneration to Regeneration
- Rights of Mother Earth
- Sowing the Seeds of Earth Democracy
Sources & References
- Update (3 Oct ’16) – http://seedfreedom.info/the-monsanto-tribunal-and-the-peoples-assembly/
- http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/05/bayer-in-advanced-talks-with-monsanto-on-deal-after-raising-offer.html (accessed 10/09/16)
- http://seedfreedom.info/campaign/peoplesassembly-at-mt-the-hague/ (accessed 10/09/16)
- https://www.organicconsumers.org/press/international-monsanto-tribunal-names-panel-distinguished-international-judges (accessed 10/09/16)