Right for Peasants
Join the movement for Peasants’ Rights and ask the EU and its Member States to actively participate in good faith in the elaboration of a “UN Declaration on the Rights of Peasants and other People Working in Rural Areas“.
“Peasants and others working in rural areas represent the largest group of people in the world suffering from hunger and malnutrition. These people have faced political and economic discriminations for decades. In light of this situation, the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) undertook several studies that ultimately asserted the need for an international protection instrument. Consequently, a working group was created to draft a Declaration on the Rights of Peasants and Other People Working in Rural Areas. The first draft of the declaration was completed in early 2015, following two rounds of negotiation. The current challenge is to pressure States to actively engage in the process so that an ambitious declaration can be adopted.” ~ Factsheet: Hands on the Land (2015)
Join the movement and ask for the adoption of
the UN Declaration on Peasants’ Rights!
Sign the petition here …
No peasants, no food. Let’s grow their rights!
- Right to Food
- Right to Land and other Natural Resources
- Right to Seeds and Biological Diversity
- Right to Water and Sanitation
- Rights to Sovereignty over Natural Resources, Development and Food Sovereignty
- Rural Women’s Rights
“Towards a Declaration on the Rights of Peasants”
International Congress on Global Peasants’ Rights (7-10 March 2017, Schwäbisch Hall, Germany)
- Land Grabbing and Land Concentration in the EU. A Research Brief (TNI & Hands on the Land, December 2016)
- Land for the few. Infographics (TNI & Hands on the Land, December 2016)
- Study “Extent of farmland grabbing in the EU” commanded by AGRI Committee of the European Parliament (2015).
- Own-initiative opinion on Land Grabbing in Europe (European Economic and Social Committee, 2015)